Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/5 21:08
My partner and I are travelling to Japan for 3 weeks in 2025 and will be based in Kanazawa.
We're both seniors (65+); is there a discounted travel pass for trains, buses?
Which cities close to Kanazawa are worth visiting for art and garden lovers?
Any tips for good restaurants and quirky spots in Kanazawa?

Thank you, Nicola
Melbourne

by Selwyn  

Re: Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/6 06:57
I Love kanazawa.It is a Great city.you can buy IR ishikawa railway and ainokaze Toyama railw ay 1 day unlimited free pass = 2000 yen
Hokuriku railway 1 day pass=1100 yen
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/6 07:27
No discount for seniors visiting. There are some discounts for residents.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/6 09:29
This is your first visit to Japan. You will travel for 3 weeks. You are art and garden lovers. From these information, many people will recommend Kansai Area including Kyoto and Nara. Kanazawa is nice place, but the cultural center of Japan is Kyoto. There are JR passes covering Kanazawa and Kansai area, but why do you plan to base in Kanazawa?

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/

I don't think you will be flying directly to Komatsu airport, but maybe Kansai airport? Before settling in Kanazawa you can travel around Kansai area. Note that Kanazawa to Kansai (for example Kyoto) takes about 2 hour one way.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/6 11:01
Thanks everyone for good tips.

FYI this is not our first trip to Japan - we spent 5 weeks travelling around Honshu the last time basing ourselves in Tokyo, Osaka and Takamatsu, taking day trips out to other cities. The reason for going was to island hop around the Seto Inland Sea that was hosting the Setouchi Art Festival. I am a public art curator and very interested in public art and installations in the public realm.
by Selwyn rate this post as useful

Re: Travel pass around Kanazawa for seniors 2024/5/6 17:21
Kyoto is a bit less than two hours these days, but my last trip on that leg was chaotic due to a late departing shinkansen making the compulsory transfer for 500 people more stressful than it needed to be.
If you like art, check out Yunokuni no Mori. Hands on experiences - some are easier than others. Easy are things like painting fabric of paper making. Harder is gold leaf or glass blowing. Soba making might be in the middle.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread