Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Best options available 2024/5/1 21:25
Hi there,

Travelling to Japan for a week before a 13 night cruise in October, and seeking best options to achieve the following itinerary:

Narita to Shinjuku
Shinjuku to Osaka
Osaka to Kyoto return
Osaka to Hiroshima
Hiroshima to Miyajima return
Hiroshima to Shinjuku
Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko return (Day trip)

In addition, will need access to Tokyo and Osaka metro possibly.

This travel will be done between 9th to 15th October 2024, as time was not on my side and will be returning once I have more time.

I am thinking the JR pass (Green car) for the travel between Narita - Shinjuku - Osaka - Hiroshima - Miyajima - Shinjuku, however Ifm not sure what will be best? There are so many options and different cards and feeling overwhelmed.

Is my best bet to book the 7 day JR Pass (despite only being 5 days there), and a Tokyo Subway Pass, 1 x 24hr and 1 x 48hr, and a 48hr Osaka subway pass? Or is a kintetsu/pasmo/icoca/suica betterc. Gosh I donft know.

Oh god help haha.
by Mitch (guest)  

Re: Best options available 2024/5/2 08:02
Thatfs a whirlwind of a trip. Have you calculated if the JRP would pay off? Personally I wouldnft buy it even if it pays off just a little bit, because you canft take Nozomi and Mizuho Shinkansen (the fastest Shinkansen) without a hefty surcharge. So I think Ifd just stay with a normal pocket. You could buy a Tokyo Hiroshima return base ticket and Shinkansen supplements for the daily parts. Best to do that probalaby ata ticket window having a piece of paper explaining exactly your itinerary.

I personally would calm down that trip a lot. Just Tokyo and Kyoto should be enough.

If a subway pass in Tokyo pays off depends on your destinations in Tokyo.

But an IC Card tht you can use for local public transport is anyway a good idea, so I would get that and not worry about a subway day pass. Even if it pays off it would be a few hundred yen. Looking at your itinerary I feel that spending a few yen more or less isnft that important to you but more the convenience. And for cities ic cards are simple and convenient
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Best options available 2024/5/2 08:59
Awesome thank you.

Unfortunately canft condense it as have some things in those locations we need to do for business prior to the cruise so really squeezing it in, but love a whirlwind trip!

So, is it best then to book the individual segments on the Nozomi Shinkansen? I checked and wefd save probably 1000Yen with the JR pass but this doesnft allow for that supplement. Might be best to do it individually.

Could we use a Suica and pay the Nozomi Shinkansen with this (paying additional at a station window?)
by Mitch1995 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread